Flashing about in low light

photography tips, flash nikon, sb600In my last post, I bragged a little about how great it is to have a proper flash and I thought I'd share some pictures and photography tips for you to judge yourselves. Although, a flash can be very useful in extremely bright situations with high contrast as well, this post is about using a flash in low light conditions.

On the left is a picture of my friend, Ken that was taken during a birthday party of a mutual friend. I was about 1.5 meters away from Ken then. I tilted my Nikon SB-600 flash towards the ceiling, which was fortunately white, set my aperture to maximum and took the shot. By directing my flash towards the ceiling, I was able to avoid a ghastly glare from the window and instead got a nice reflection of the living room from it. Nonetheless, I do feel that this picture is a little overexposed. I probably should have stepped back a meter or so.

photography tips, flash nikon, sb600



On the right is a picture of Donald, our host for the evening. Likewise, no glare but a nice reflection. Another problem with aiming a flash directly at a subject is the unnatural tone it brings. Using a flash diffuser definitely does help but I still find that bouncing the flash off the ceiling yields the best results.

photography tips, flash nikon, sb600




You can even get creative with your flash and bounce it off the wall to get a different effect, as I did with the picture on the left. This is one of the photography tips I got from a colleague. Make no mistakes, this shot could have and should have been better composed. But at least it demonstrates its effect.

photography tips, flash nikon, sb600





On the right is Mark, from Australia. I added a little Sepia to this one.



photography tips, flash nikon, sb600




And finally, Ken looks content. We all had a great time at the party that day and the photos I took were well received.

So, what do you think? I hope I gave you some useful tips on flash photography.

0 comments: